Friday 22 June 2012

Behind the scenes chat No.1 with Angela Traynor



Angela Traynor is the Tickets Sales Assistant and Retail Assistant at Sale Sharks. She was kind enough to give a email interview.


Best part of your job: Every day is different

How did you come to work for Sale Sharks? I used to run a pub, and after leaving that and having a break I was looking for a job and through a friend I ended up in the Ticket Office

What are your favourite things about rugby? The social side and the opportunity to visit new places. We’ve made loads of friends through supporting Sale Sharks, loads of home supporters and a good few away supporters, especially Lindsay (Worcester Warriors) and Tony and Jim (Leicester Tigers). That’s the reason why we chose to get married in Bath before a game – pretty much all our friends were there! We’ve been to all the AP grounds now and at several away games we stay over for a night or two. We like to go and have a good look around the place – the cathedrals of Worcester, Exeter, Bath and Gloucester are beautiful, the regeneration of the docks at Gloucester is fantastic, and when we go to Quins we go into London the day before and visit ‘foodie heaven’ - Borough Market. We also go to the European away games, I’m really looking forward to going back to Montpellier – it’s beautiful – and making our first trip to Toulon.
 



Stade Yves du Manoir, Montpellier

What was the best away match that you have been to? Ooh, so many to choose from! Chabal’s try against Leicester which turned the game, Steve Hanley’s try in the Parker Pen Final, too many to remember! Best moment at an away game was at the end of the Quins game two seasons ago. The players had all walked over to thank the travelling supporters and were heading back to the tunnel when Dean Schofield turned around and ran back towards us. He ran to me, took his shirt off and handed it to me saying “Thanks for all your support over the years” gave me a (topless – him not me) hug and a kiss then ran back to the changing room. Well, I was beside myself – I just burst into tears which wasn’t helped by may mate Jo doing exactly the same thing. Being given my favourite player’s shirt, by him, straight off his back is my favourite ever moment. I kept it close all night and it’s one of my most prized possessions.


Highlight of last season? Agen was pretty special last season, the 40 or so supporters made a huge amount of noise right from kick-off and we’d four tries in the bag before half-time. The lads say it makes a massive difference so it’s something I like to encourage. La Vila was brilliant for many, many reasons, but I think the best performance was against Bath, such a spirited last few minutes from the team, really playing for each other that last couple of minutes was horrendous – I couldn’t breathe! The BEST bit of last season? Beating Gloucester at Kingsholm after the two previous hammerings. I would have given every happy memory, every experience, every point for that win and the team were fantastic! I get a big Cheshire Cat grin just thinking about it!

Travelling supporters celebrate after the fantastic 24-19 win over Gloucester


What are you most looking forward to for next season? Just getting out there and showing the rest of the AP teams and their supporters that we’re serious challengers in any competition. I think we’ve really turned a corner since Steve Diamond came and with Bryan Redpath on board we can really start to make our mark. The investment in the Academy is also on-going and can only benefit the club in the long term. The Supporter Club have donated £3,500 to buy the same analytical software and laptops for the Academy that the first team squad use – home grown players are a massive part of our future. (www.salesupporters.co.uk)

If you were on a deserted island who would you want for company? You’re trying to make me name a player aren’t you? I can’t do that, it’s not fair, I like ‘em all (that should get me out of trouble). Apart from the husband I’d say Al Murray (for the laughs), Grayson Perry (for his intellect and insight), James May (thinking woman’s totty) and to assist me in the kitchen James Martin.

What’s the most played song on your ipod? iPod? Not got one though I do have music on my phone but the earphones are always somewhere else. Listen to Radio 2 in the car and in the kitchen, or an 80’s mix CD I put together with Blondie, ABC, Bowie, that sort of thing on it.

How do you deal with spiders? Get them in a glass, slide some card underneath then put them outside.

And finally, who is your favourite player?
Schoey-o, no question. One man army. This pic I took show how much winning means to him (at Quins in May 2008 )





Big thanks to Angela!

You can buy a ticket from Angela by ringing the Sale Sharks ticket office: 08444 994 994

No comments:

Post a Comment