Tuesday 19 June 2012

Me and the Egg Shaped Ball

I started to have an interest in Rugby when I was about 16. I was on holiday with my family and whilst they were ordering drinks in this bar, I (as per usual) had my eyes glued to the telly box. I was riveted. Rugby was on. 





I had never watched it before and what sealed the deal for me was watching a painful tackle. Dont ask me who was playing or who made this tackle. This guy, using all his brute force, grabbed his opponent by the hems of his shorts and lifted him up and carried him back 10 meters or so. MASSIVE WEDGIE! Cheeks were red and I let out a loud "OUCH!" The waiter and the rest of my table looked at me confused, while I quickly tried to explain my outburst. The sheer physicality of that player just made me think of Gladiator battles. Muscles on muscles. Rugby players are just impressive specimens of humans. To go through tackle after tackle and just brush themselves down and go "Yeah? So? What's next?" *Hats off*





Painting by Jean-Léon Gérôme

It was only really when I was at Uni, that my interest in rugby truly started to grow. Under the guidance of Bethan (@bethroberts_tnt), each year during the 6 Nations, I began to familiarise myself with the rules, and the players. It was a no brainer for me that I would support Scotland.

Bethan

People say to me that I'm not Scottish, but I disagree. I was born there. All be it, I haven't lived a month in Scotland, I still class it as my nationality. I love the country, the music, the history, the haggis and the whiskey. I've adopted it. In big tests, I always support all the home nations. But my heart is with Scotland.

I watched the World Cup last year and I just thought "Daily rugby seems to be doing lovely things to my whole disposition", so when the RWC finished I was devastated. That's when I finally got my s**t together and went to my first Sale Sharks match with Rich and Sam... it was rather wet, but that didn't stop me!


Rich and Sam


Edgeley Park, Stockport

9 months on and I have a season ticket at Sale and I've finally got a group of friends that I can go to rugby matches to!

So now, I'm going to post some past rugby content from the last 9 months.... ENJOY! :)


Me at Edgeley Park

No comments:

Post a Comment