Monday 25 June 2012

Cumbria and the Rugby League World Cup

At the heart of me I'm Union, however I am kindling the embers of love towards Rugby League.



Next year is the Rugby League World Cup in England and Wales. I'm already down on their books for notifications for tickets, volunteering and if they need a spare masseuse! It's going to be a great warm up to the Rugby World Cup 2015.


Its an opportunity for regions to have an excuse to rejuvenate their stadiums and numbers in their stands. So for places like West Cumbria, an opportunity to host international games is priceless! 


The original Idea: Pow Beck Valley Stadium




However the locals can be counter productive. There had been an option to build a £5.5 million Pow Beck stadium in Whitehaven. But problems arose over access land owned by the Miners Social Welfare Club. Local speculation is that the Miners were asking for too much money and subsequently the delay in construction grew and grew, to the point where the RLWC abandoned West Cumbria as a host.


Being from that area, this has angered me greatly. West Cumbria needed this! We've had some bad luck over the past couple of years with one thing or another, and this would of been something that everyone in the community- to which I really mean, all 6,853,200+ Cumbrian, could of got behind!


So! To my joy, this Monday morning, I read this from Code 13


"Co-operative Championship 1 side Workington Town have secured financial backing from their local council in support of re-launching a Cumbrian bid for one or more 2013 Rugby League World Cup matches to take place in the region."



There is hope yet! 

I wish Good Luck to all those who are working to make this a reality. I will certainly be in the stands cheering when you succeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment